(* 16. December 1935, Famagusta; † 9. May 2001, Nicosia); actual Nikolaos Georgiades; Cypriot politician, journalist and one week president of the Republic of Cyprus.
The photographer joined the EOKA in 1955. He was arrested and sentenced to death in 1956, later pardoned – he got life - and released in an amnesty. He fanatic hated the Turks. With the slogan “death to the Turks” he became a member of the House of Representatives in 1970. As result of the coup in 1974 he was President of Cyprus – for six days. He was sentenced to 20 years imprisonment for damage of national interests of Cyprus in 1976. Three years later he was released and gone into exile to Paris. He came back in 1990 and died 2001.
Each year, from June to August, hundreds of sea turtles come to the beaches of Cyprus to lay their eggs. The young turtles hatch in summer, between July and September. Special reserves were created to ensure the population of the Green Sea Turtle (Chelonia Mydas) and the Loggerhead Sea Turtle (Caretta Caretta) at the coasts of Cyprus. Signs asking for considerate treatment of nature at these places. Visitors have the possibility to watch the animals under the guidance of members of the turtle projects at Ammoudi beach and in Alakati (Alagadi).
- Government Web Portal of the Republic of Cyprus
- Press and Information Office Republic of Cyprus
- Foreign Ministry of the internationally not recognized TRNC
- The European Commission Representation in Cyprus
- British Council Cyprus
- Association for Historical Dialogue and Research
- Cyprus Tourism Organisation
- British High Commission Nicosia
- Professional proofreading